MASTER GUIDE REQUIREMENTS
for Adventurers and Pathfinder Ministries
North American Division
Revised September 2014
- Be a baptized member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- Have a written recommendation from your local church board, stating that the candidate is in regular standing.
- Be at least 16 years of age to start the Master Guide Leadership course and at least 18 years of age at completion.
- Have a completed Basic Staff Training Certification and been involved for a minimum of one year in one of the following ministries.
b. Pathfinders Ministries
* It will be helpful for a Master Guide in training to have exposure to both ministries, Adventurers and Pathfinders.
II. Spiritual Development:
2. Complete the devotional guide “Encounter Series I, Christ the Way”, or complete another year long Bible reading plan that covers the four Gospels and read the Desire of the Ages or Humble Hero.
3. Do one of the following:
a. Keep a devotional journal for at least four weeks, summarizing what you learned in your devotional time and outlining how you are growing in your faith.
b. Complete the Steps to Discipleship Personal Spirituality Curriculum.
4. Earn the Pathfinder Evangelism Award.
5. Prepare a two paragraph summary on each one of the 28 Fundamental Beliefs
6. Develop and present four of the following beliefs. Use of creative media is encouraged.
b. The Experience of Salvation
c. Growing in Christ
d. The Remnant and Its Mission
f. Spiritual Gifts and Ministries
g. The Gift of Prophecy
h. The Sabbath
i. Christ’s Ministry in the Heavenly Sanctuary
j. The Second Coming of Christ
k. Death and Resurrection
7. Enhance knowledge of Church Heritage by completing the following:
a. Earn the Adventist Heritage Honor.
b. Read a book about SDA youth ministry such as:
i. The Pathfinder Story by Robert Holbrook.
ii. We are the Pathfinders Strong: The First Fifty Years by Willie Oliver with Patricia Humphrey
iii. Another book that is approved by your conference Youth, Pathfinder or Adventurer Director, or their designated Master Guide representative.
8. Read a book about church heritage such as:
a. Anticipating the Advent by George Knight.
b. Tell It to the World by Mervyn Maxwell
c. Light Bearers to the Remnant by Richard W Schwarz and Floyd Greenleaf
d. The Church Heritage Manual produced by the General Conference Youth Department.
e. Another book that is approved by your conference Youth, Pathfinder or Adventurer Director, or their designated Master Guide representative.
9. Attend a Seminar, or complete a 2 page (minimum) research paper about a standard temperament analysis program and complete the affiliated temperament inventory.
III. Skills Development:
MGSK 001 How to be a Christian Leader & Leadership Skills
MGSK 002 Vision, Mission and Motivation
MGSK 003 Communication Theory and Listening Skills
MGSK 004 Practical Communication Practices
MGSK 005 Understanding Teaching and Learning Styles
MGSK 006 Creativity and Resources Development
MGSK 007 How to Prepare Effective Creative Worships
MGSK 008 Principles of Youth and Children’s Evangelism
MGSK 009 How to Lead a Child to Christ
MGSK 010 Understanding your Spiritual Gifts
2. Attend a seminar on Risk Management that focus’ on Adventurer and Pathfinder Activities.
3. Attend a Seminar on Child Abuse Prevention.
4. Have or earn the following honors:
a. Christian Storytelling
b. Camping Skills I-IV
c. Basic Drilling and Marching
5. Earn two additional honors not previously earned: one from the list below and a skill level 2 or 3 honor from a list provided by your local conference.
a. Crisis Intervention
6. Hold a current First Aid & CPR certificate or its equivalent. (Instructor Required)
7. Supervise participants through either the Adventurer Curriculum or Pathfinder Investiture Achievement, or teach a Sabbath School class for children ages 6-15, or its equivalent for at least one year. (Candidates under 18 must have a supervising adult)
IV. Child Development:
- Read or listen to the book Education and submit a one page response focusing on the benefits of your reading.
- Read or listen to either Child Guidance or Messages to Young People and submit a one page response focusing on the benefits of your reading.
- Attend one seminar dealing with child development relating to the age of your primary ministry group.
- Observe for a period of two (2) hours a group of Adventurers or Pathfinders and write a reflection on their interaction.
- Attend a seminar on discipline.
V. Leadership Development:
a. Positive Church in a Negative World by John Arrias
b. Take the Risk by Ben Carson
c. Ellen White on Leadership by Cindy Tutsh
d. Help! I’m being Followed by Clinton Valleyn
e, Another book that is approved by your conference Youth, Pathfinder or Adventurer Director, or their designated Master Guide representative.
2. Demonstrate your leadership skills by doing the following:
a. Develop and conduct three creative worships for children and/or teenagers.
b. Participate in a leadership role with your local church children’s/youth group in a Conference sponsored event.
c. Teach three Adventurer Awards or two Pathfinder Honors.
d. Assist in planning and leading a field trip for a group of Adventurers, Pathfinders or Sabbath School class.
e. Be an active Adventurer, Pathfinders, or Sabbath School staff member for at least one year and attend at least 75% of all staff meetings.
3. Write personal goals that you would like to accomplish in your ministry.
4. Identify three current goals in your life, at least one of which is spiritually oriented, and list three goals or objects for each.
VI. Fitness Lifestyle Development
a. A personal physical fitness program of your choice and according to your abilities, for at least three months.
b. A school physical fitness program.
c. The physical components of the AY Silver Award. If you already have the AY Silver award then complete the physical fitness components of the AY Gold Award.
- The Master Guide curriculum must be completed in a minimum of one year and a maximum of three years.
- All Master Guide Candidates must document all work in a portfolio.
- Curriculum completion is under the supervision of the conference Youth, Pathfinder or Adventurer Director, or their designated Master Guide representative.
*Books and instructor resource material for Master Guide are available from AdventSource
You can order the Master Guide Record Card from AdventSource catalog #001123